We Dads and Stepdads tend to have more time with our daughters during a big holiday week like this one. You might consider taking some of that time to engage in the kind of conversation you don’t normally have at “normal” times of year. Here are some questions she and you can ask each other to get the ball rolling (adapted from my book The Dads & Daughters® Togetherness Guide: 54 Fun Activities to Help Build a Great Relationship).
- Can you name each other’s three best friends?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the state of our relationship?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how crucial do you think Dad’s active involvement in Daughter’s life to her healthy growth and well-being?
- Do you talk to other dads about being a dad? Why or why not?
- When we’re together, what topics are you hoping I won’t mention?
- What’s the most important thing that you think we should be talking about that we’re not talking about – or else not talking about enough?
- Can Dad tell Daughter an important story from when he was her age?
- What do wish we had more time to do together, just the two of us? (There are tons of ideas in The Dads & Daughters® Togetherness Guide.)
- What is your greatest concern and greatest satisfaction in our relationship?
- In your life today, what gives you the greatest joy? Satisfaction? Joy?
Have a wonderful